After 30 years of marriage, Jennifer is unexpectedly facing a divorce. In addition to the emotional tumult, she feels overwhelmed by new financial worries and uncertainties.
After 30 years of marriage, Jennifer is unexpectedly facing a divorce… she feels overwhelmed by new financial worries and uncertainties.
Her soon-to-be ex-husband has always been the breadwinner while she stayed at home to raise their now-grown kids. He also handled the finances, so she doesn’t have a clear picture of their financial situation—let alone a detailed understanding of their assets and debts.
Jennifer is attached to the family home and would like to keep it, but even more important to her is that she maintains her quality of life. And above all, she wants to rebuild her sense of safety and security.
How JJ Burns Can Help
The turmoil of divorce is difficult enough even before you throw money into the mix. It’s important to protect yourself financially, but that’s easier said than done. There are so many emotionally laden decisions to be made, from what to do with your home to how to split up your belongings.
JJ Burns is a partner you can rely on throughout this challenging time. We are here for you at every stage, from untangling your finances and supporting you through this emotional journey to mapping out a post-divorce budget and investment strategy.
We help you:
- Coordinate with your divorce attorney and accountant
- Conduct a full assessment of your finances, including income, expenses, liabilities, and assets
- Make wise decisions when splitting assets, with an emphasis on minimizing taxes and maximizing value
- Evaluate what to do with the family home, and how keeping or selling will impact your long-term goals
- Plan ahead for income once child support and spousal maintenance ends
- Restructure your portfolio to ensure you’re still on track for retirement
Interested in learning more about how we can help you navigate divorce and achieve financial stability and freedom? Call us at (631) 390-0500 or send a message to set up a complimentary phone consultation.